Sr Manager, Software Development - APIsAPPLY NOW
The Sr. Manager of Development - APIs is responsible for leading the T-Mobile API Center of Excellence focused on API design, development, and delivery in support of T-Mobile’s Un-carrier initiatives.
The Sr. Manager of Development works directly with the Director of IT as a key member of the leadership team and serves as the driving force behind the delivery of multiple, concurrent projects. They will also be defining the COE processes and procedures for governance and on-boarding partner API development teams, as well as educating internal and external consumers on the API program, products, tools, and use of the platform. The Sr. Manager will build an organization of architects, product managers, and development teams to build out our API library and further drive T-Mobile’s digital evolution. This is a leadership position requiring innovation and agility to drive increased efficiencies through shared APIs and services and deliver with faster time to market through API first design. The Sr Manager will be required to demonstrate strong partnership potential with a broad cross functional organization including Retail, Web, Care, external partners, Engineering, and Marketing.
The Sr. Manager of Development draws upon deep technical knowledge, years of software development experience, proven leadership skills and ability to forge strong working relationships that cross organizational lines in order to aid us in our transition toward a more robust, scalable, lean and agile software development organization.
- Responsible for DELIVERY OF HIGH QUALITY products on time and within budget
- DEVELOP API STRATEGY through working with business and IT leadership during the planning process to prioritize and scope future projects and initiatives for the API products
- LEAD teams through display of a strong work ethic and sense of urgency. Demonstrates strong initiative to make things happen
- EVANGELIZE adoption of APIs and Digital Architectural patterns across T-Mobile IT development teams and external partners
- Constantly improve the DEVELOPMENT PROCESSES, tools and methodologies used in the development group
- GOVERN partner team use of the API platform by enforcing standards of operation and best practices for implementation
- BUILD STAFFING PLANS that ensure management and development teams are staffed with skill sets required to enhance existing systems as well as deliver new systems functionality required by the business
- INTERVIEW AND HIRE qualified managers and developers, striving to improve T-Mobile bench strength and augmenting project teams with contract staff when required
- WORKFLOW MANAGEMENT - Work with other management to understand project and business priorities and schedule work with development staff based on those priorities
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT - Effectively lead teams providing appropriate direction and developmental feedback, conducting annual reviews and participating in compensation decisions. Sets uncompromisingly high standards of performance for self and subordinates
- RECOMMEND NEW TECHNOLOGY DIRECTIONS in collaboration with Design and Enterprise Architecture team
- TRAINING AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT - Work with managers and developers to build training and career development plans and work to ensure assignments with increasing levels of responsibility are given to management and development staff
- BUDGET - Provide input for departmental budgets and work to manage operational and capital expenses in order to meet budget
- RESOURCE ALLOCATION - Plan for and ensure that management and development staff have tools/skills required to perform job functions (workstations, software, servers, disk space, training, etc.)
As a Leader you are focused on strategy and planning while developing and guiding your team. You demonstrate and showcase your leadership abilities by:
- SETTING PERFORMANCE DIRECTION: Translating broader business initiatives into clear team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action
- MOTIVATING OTHERS: Creating a team environment where everyone wants to do their best and deliver results
- DELEGATING: Broadly sharing responsibility and accountability of both routine and important tasks and decisions. Let direct reports finish their own work
- DEVELOPING AND COACHING OTHERS: Having awareness of each person's career goals; hold development discussions; and provide challenging tasks and assignments to promote development
- HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE: Monitoring progress and results; give feedback effectively and make tough decisions when appropriate
- Minimum overall IT experience, 12 years
- Minimum 8 years of experience developing large scale business systems applications
- Minimum of 4 years in an API or web services development practice
- Minimum 8 years of management experience with programming staff including leadership, planning, and coordination of development work for 4 large projects
- First-hand experience with REST API consumption and designing REST APIs
- Experience with an API and Developer Adoption program
- Experience with a commercial API Management product
- Familiarity with DevOps (e.g. Continuous Integration, Continuous testing and Continuous delivery)
- Demonstrated ability to mentor technical management and technical professionals
- Ability to organize several teams and focus on best practices, particularly regarding coding standards and quality assurance
- Experience working with and effectively managing vendors on large and small projects
- Ability to manage remotely (geographically diverse)
- Experience working with on/off-shore teams to produce quality and timely results
- Extremely strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to communicate effectively across a variety of different levels of management and individual contributors
- Experience working in a virtual team environment; ability to form a team within a virtual work environment
- Able to learn complex business operations quickly, work in a fast-paced, ambiguous, team-driven environment
- Must be able to multi-task, manage details, keep calm during excitement, and keep sight of overall objectives
- Proven ability to apply expert level experience to perform checks of team deliverables and solution design for quality, consistency, potential impacts to other processes and systems, and proper use of development principles
- Experience in multiple phases of SDLC and types of SDLCs, including Agile methodology, pair programming, etc
- Able to build and leverage strong relationships
- Skills and knowledge acquired through professional Development, Tech. Lead, and Management experience are required in each of the following areas: Human Performance, Organizational Effectiveness, Project Leadership, Change Management, Release Management, Configuration Management, Systems Development Life Cycle Methodologies, Quality Assurance and Testing, Requirements Gathering, and Systems Analysis and Design
- Financial/Fiscal Responsibility: Helps forecast and maintain budget. Help in creating purchase orders and reconciling invoices
- Experience in a Wireless industry is preferred
- B.S. in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or other technical discipline
- Advanced degree preferred
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY.
Medical, dental, and vision are just the start. We also offer health pro consultants, flexible spending accounts, and more.
PAID R & R
Kick back with paid time off. We want you to have flexibility, convenience, and control over how you recharge.
IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU
We've ditched old-school performance reviews for a tailored approach to career health that includes training for better career and leadership skills.
SWEET COMPANY DISCOUNTS
Naturally, we offer steep discounts on our consumer rate plans and all the fantastic accessories we carry.
HELP WITH THE FAM
Kids rock. But child care, adoption, and surrogacy aren’t cheap. We offer programs that help reduce those burdens.
Options include a 401(k) plan, an annual Employee Stock Grant, and a purchase plan that gives you the chance to grab T-Mobile stock at a discount.
Other Available locations
ARE YOU A GOOD FIT FOR OUR TEAM?APPLY NOW
What's it like to work at T-Mobile?Find out
Current Senior Technician in Rowlett, TX
Laid back, easy going, very relaxed and opportunities for advancement and career enhancement if the individual applies him/herself. They INSIST on a healthy work-life balance. And the CEO is entertaining and has done amazing things for the company.
They really like to promote from within, which is great, if you're "in", but it can be incredibly difficult to get in. Pay can be a little on the low end of the scale, but benefits are great.
Advice to Management
Make sure that everyone on the teams are pulling their share of the weight; policies come out because of the intermittent 'bad apple'
"Fun, Exciting, Big Company"
Current Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
There are many good reasons to work for T-Mobile. Discounted phone bill, discount towards accessories, and good benefits package to name a few. The company is growing and will soon be in the hunt for the top spot in the telecommunication world.
Just like other large corporate environments, its not what you know its who you know in order to advance your career further. Pay is fair could be better.
Advice to Management
Stop managing and be leaders! Listen to your employees, be proactive in identifying issues rather than ignoring them.
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NYSE: “TMUS”) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile US operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. It currently serves approximately 58 million wireless subscribers and provides products and services through 70,000 points of distribution.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice
T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.