Sr Manager, Engineering SwitchAPPLY NOW
Sr Manager, Engineering Switch
This position plays a vital role in the overall success of the business and satisfaction of T-Mobile’s customers. Analyzes switch staff requirements in order to maintain the performance of the network to ensure optimal service is provided to T-Mobile’s subscribers at all times. Also provides the leadership team with direction; prioritizes workload and resources to meet objectives; proactively maintains the integrity of the network; develops both short-term and long-term goals; oversees project management; actively participates in budget management; and leads major network recovery efforts. This individual is responsible for managing all aspects of switch operations for the assigned market(s). Interacts with all local and regional departments to assist in developing new tools, processes, and planning/scheduling workload execution. Requires a solid leader with well developed listening skills and who is ultimately accountable to our customers for the results his/her team delivers. Acts as a catalyst in developing and shaping individuals into a motivated team that strives to delight T-Mobile’s customers.
Enterprise Core Competencies
Requires competency in customer focus, change & innovation, strategic thinking, relationship building & influencing, talent management, results focus and inspirational leadership.
- Manages the switch operations so as to provide a highly reliable and efficient network for all T-Mobile customers. Develops methods and procedures for use by switch personnel in accordance with engineering objectives. Determines staffing and resource requirements based on departmental workload. Ensures team members comply with company policies and procedures. Is responsible for hiring and development of technical staff.
- Responsible for the management of market, regional and national nodes in a critical data center environment. Ensures the proper functioning of the AC/DC power systems, HVAC cooling, fire and life safety equipment and alarming for the facility.
- Interfaces with Network Engineering, Radio Frequency (RF) Engineering, equipment vendors, Field Operations, and the Network Operations Center (NOC), as required, to ensure a properly functioning, highly reliable and efficient network.
- Manages the projects assigned to the Switch Operations team(s). Also tracks and provides regular updates on the projects to the management team. Ensures the projects are executed in a timely manner.
- Provides coaching sessions on a regular basis. Creates Quarterly Goals for switch technicians and managers, and monitors progress. Conducts Quarterly and Annual Performance reviews. Conducts business in an ethical manner in conformance with the T-Mobile Corporate Value System. Lives the TMC values daily.
- Assists the management team in effectively formulating Quarterly & Yearly budgetary needs for the Network Operations team, identifying needs and resources of the team. Keeps track of the budget spend for the Network Operations team and assists in supervising the Purchase Order and Invoicing activities. Ensures adequate on-the-job and formal training is provided. Ensures compliance with and adherence to all T-Mobile policies and procedures.
- Must have experience with wireless network specific Network Switching Sub-System (NSS), Base Station Subsystem/Radio Access Network (BSS/RAN) and Transport (TDM, SONET, Ethernet/IP) Engineering
- Understands various network Telco, DS1, DS3, Ethernet/IP, SS7, microwave, fiber optics, and copper facilities
- Understands AC/DC Power Systems; HVAC and Data Center Cooling; Fire and Life Safety Equipment; Facility Management
- Capable of directing and leading teams, empowering others, and driving accountability
- Leadership and coaching skills; fosters teamwork and cross-functional cooperation in order to create a positive work environment
- Strong knowledge of troubleshooting techniques
- Working knowledge of overall network architecture and 3GPP mobile network principles
- Ability to create and refine processes and procedures
- Ability to prioritize tasks/activities, adapt to change, and refocus to recover quickly
- Advanced computer skills; proficient in Windows/Unix/Linux operating environments; Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint; vendor-specific network navigation; T-Mobile systems
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and team development, and negotiation skills; ability to interact with people of varying backgrounds, technical abilities, languages, and cultures; must be able to read and write effectively in English at a business-professional level
- 7+ years technical experience in the telecommunications field required
- 5+ years wireless telecommunications switch operations management experience or supervisory experience required
- 3-5 years experience in vendor project management required
- 5+ years experience with GSM/UMTS/LTE systems.
- 2+ years experience with Ethernet/IP networking.
- Bachelors Degree. Technical or business discipline
License or Certification
This position requires mobility (standing, walking, climbing, etc.); the ability to get from one place to another. This position requires bending, turning, twisting of your neck or at the waist. This position requires squatting, crawling, kneeling.
As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NYSE: "TMUS") is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company's advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Wash., T-Mobile US operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. It currently serves approximately 43 million wireless subscribers and provides products and services through 70,000 points of distribution.
T-Mobile US, Inc. offers a full range of comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, as well as matching 401(k), generous paid time off programs, phone service discounts, tuition reimbursement, free parking - not to mention a fun and business casual work environment.
T-Mobile US, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.
WE EVEN DO BENEFITS DIFFERENTLY.
Medical, dental, and vision are just the start. We also offer health pro consultants, flexible spending accounts, and more.
PAID R & R
Kick back with paid time off. We want you to have flexibility, convenience, and control over how you recharge.
IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU
We've ditched old-school performance reviews for a tailored approach to career health that includes training for better career and leadership skills.
SWEET COMPANY DISCOUNTS
Naturally, we offer steep discounts on our consumer rate plans and all the fantastic accessories we carry.
HELP WITH THE FAM
Kids rock. But child care, adoption, and surrogacy aren’t cheap. We offer programs that help reduce those burdens.
Options include a 401(k) plan, an annual Employee Stock Grant, and a purchase plan that gives you the chance to grab T-Mobile stock at a discount.
ARE YOU A GOOD FIT FOR OUR TEAM?APPLY NOW
What's it like to work at T-Mobile?Find out
Current Senior Technician in Rowlett, TX
Laid back, easy going, very relaxed and opportunities for advancement and career enhancement if the individual applies him/herself. They INSIST on a healthy work-life balance. And the CEO is entertaining and has done amazing things for the company.
They really like to promote from within, which is great, if you're "in", but it can be incredibly difficult to get in. Pay can be a little on the low end of the scale, but benefits are great.
Advice to Management
Make sure that everyone on the teams are pulling their share of the weight; policies come out because of the intermittent 'bad apple'
"Fun, Exciting, Big Company"
Current Business Analyst in Bellevue, WA
There are many good reasons to work for T-Mobile. Discounted phone bill, discount towards accessories, and good benefits package to name a few. The company is growing and will soon be in the hunt for the top spot in the telecommunication world.
Just like other large corporate environments, its not what you know its who you know in order to advance your career further. Pay is fair could be better.
Advice to Management
Stop managing and be leaders! Listen to your employees, be proactive in identifying issues rather than ignoring them.
As America’s Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc. (NASDAQ: “TMUS”) is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The company’s advanced nationwide 4G and 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences for customers who are unwilling to compromise on quality and value. Based in Bellevue, Washington, T-Mobile US provides services through its subsidiaries and operates its flagship brands, T-Mobile and MetroPCS. For more information, please visit http://www.t-mobile.com.
We Take Equal Opportunity Seriously - By Choice T-Mobile USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All decisions concerning the employment relationship will be made without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, veteran status, the presence of any physical or mental disability, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Discrimination or harassment based upon any of these factors is wholly inconsistent with our Company values and will not be tolerated. Furthermore, such discrimination or harassment may violate federal, state, or local law.